Being arrested for DUI is a very serious situation. The consequences can be dire, but if a few simple steps are followed, the risk can be significantly mitigated. Of course, obtaining the services of an experienced DUI attorney is of paramount importance, but there are some other tips that can be helpful in the meantime.
Steps To Take:
- Don’t Panic – This is one of the most important steps that can be taken in a DUI situation. Remember that you are innocent until proven guilty and you will have your due process. Remaining calm will help keep the police officer at ease and could increase your chances of a positive outcome down the road.
- Don’t Lie To The Police – Although you may think that it is necessary to represent yourself in a positive light by any means necessary, the truth is best. Lying about something to the police will make you less believable when you do have your day in court. This could mean that the judge or jury could look unfavorably on you due to your unwillingness to tell the truth in the past.
- Don’t Be Rude To The Police – In a way, this goes hand in hand with not lying to the police. Showing proper respect to the authorities will tend to represent you in a more positive light. If the police and the court see you as an upstanding citizen who may have made a mistake, there is a better chance that the outcome of your case will be a favorable one. Treating the police badly will not work in your favor in any way. Learn more about your rights talking to the police.
- Don’t Forget To Tell The Police About Any Pre-Existing Injuries Before Taking A Field Sobriety Test – Any injuries that you have could have some effect on the outcome of a field sobriety test. Whether the injuries affect you physically or mentally, the test may not be valid if your abilities are impaired by a factor other than alcohol. This will help give your attorney something to use to defend the charges.
- Don’t Represent Yourself Or Try To Manage It Alone – The legal system is designed to allow people to be represented. In the case of a DUI, the police have the job of gathering evidence against you and proving your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Since there is a professional on the side of the prosecution, it only makes sense to have a professional on your side as well. A qualified attorney is your best chance to get out of a DUI with a positive outcome.
- Don’t Ignore The DMV Hearing – The DMV hearing can determine whether your license will be restricted, suspended or revoked. This is an extremely important part of the process and ignoring it could leave you without the ability to drive. Be sure to give your full attention to the DMV hearing just as you will the rest of the case.
- Don’t Drive On A Suspended License – Adding another offense to the caseload against you is going to greatly hurt your chances. If your license is suspended, do not drive until you have resolved any issues that have caused this condition.
Here are some additional tips and resources on what to do if you get pulled over for DUI in Los Angeles:
- What To Do If Arrested for DUI
- VIDEO: What to do if you get pulled over for DUI
- Frequently Asked Questions – California DUI
Despite the serious nature of a DUI, it can be managed. Follow the steps outlined above and you will have a positive outcome in the majority of cases. At the very least, your chances are improved that the charges against you may be reduced.
Contact Los Angeles DUI lawyer Jon Artz if you need legal representation for your DUI arrest.